Click below to hear how to set up materials for newcomers:
We are seeing more and more newcomers join our classrooms in the U.S. every year. It can be both exciting and challenging when these students first join our classrooms but today, I am walking you through tips on helping both you and them be successful those first few weeks of school!
We are continuing our Successfully Setting Up for the School Year this Summer series with an episode dedicated to helping you help your newcomers. Being prepared to help your newcomers when they walk into your classroom is one of the most important things you can do to help them feel comfortable and welcome.
In this episode, I am giving you tips and suggestions (and freebies!) to be prepared for your newcomers. We are covering why it is important to have things prepared for your students, 5 things you should have ready for your newcomers, and how each of these items is so beneficial.
If you want access to monthly lesson plans for newcomers and intermediates so you can just print and go, be sure to join my membership, Equipping ELLs. Inside the membership, you’ll have access to materials, activities, and lesson plans for the entire year that you can simply print and use!
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Why preparing for newcomer students is so important, even if you don’t think you’ll have newcomers in your class
- 5 materials you should have ready for your newcomers
- How to use the materials to be most beneficial and why you should use them
- Information about the resources available inside the Equipping ELLs membership
- FREE ESL Teacher Toolkit (Templates are found here!)
- Grab your FREE Newcomer Welcome kit
- Join the Equipping ELLs Membership
- Check out the ELL Strategy Academy
- Shop TpT resources that help with supporting your ELLs
Related episodes and blog posts:
- Episode 28: Save Planning Time by Creating Teaching Templates
- Episode 27: Defining Daily Language Expectations for All Levels of ELLs
- Episode 26: Setting Up Quarterly Goals
- Episode 25: How to Create a Scope and Sequence for Your ELL Program
- Episode 7: From Newcomer to MLB Scout
Connect with Beth:
- Join the Facebook group: Inspiring Young Learners Engage!
- Follow her on Instagram @inspiringyounglearners.
More about Equipping ELLs:
We all know that teaching isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be this hard. Equipping ELLs is a podcast for both ESL specialists and homeroom teachers who are looking for effective and engaging ways to support their English Language Learners without adding to their endless to-do list. Tune in each week to hear tips, strategies, and inspirational stories that will empower you to better reach your ELL students, equip them with life-long skills, and strengthen relationships with colleagues and parents.
Your host, Beth Vaucher, is the founder of Inspiring Young Learners. She is an ESL certified homeroom teacher with over 10 years of experience teaching in the US and internationally. Her background of M.Ed in ESL and Curriculum and Instruction combined with her experience has led her to develop a bestselling newcomer curriculum that has sold in over 90 countries around the globe. She brings a different perspective to teaching ELLs from her years teaching and living abroad and working with ELLs from around the world. You will walk away from each episode with the ideas and tools you need to transform your experience as a teacher and cultivate a thriving and welcoming environment for your ELL students.