Click below to hear how to define daily language expectation:
Are you looking for something easy to do to help you prepare for next school year? I am giving you something you will want on hand at all times to help you support your ELL students. We are continuing our summer series, Successfully Setting Up for the School Year This Summer, with a tool that requires little prep but will be a big help!
We have already been working on setting up our scope & sequence for the year and setting our quarterly goals. In this episode, we are talking about how to manage the day to day expectations for our students. We talk about how we need a clear idea of expectations for our students, how we can use those expectations to ensure we are not over scaffolding or under scaffolding for our students, and why having a clear understanding of these expectations is important.
Be sure to grab your free scope & sequence, quarterly goals chart, language expectations chart, and more in the ESL Teacher Toolkit to help take the stress out of preparing for the school year!
Topics discussed in this episode:
- How students guide the speed and flow of our lesson plans
- The importance of having clear, appropriate expectations for our students
- How to avoid under scaffolding and over scaffolding
- Introducing and explaining the Language Can Do Descriptors Simplified tool
- Why it’s important to have a clear understanding of expectations
- How to use the free tool to increase communication with homeroom teachers to better support your ELL students
- Download the ESL Teacher Toolkit (includes a year long editable scope and sequence and Quarterly Goal Template)
- Join the Equipping ELLs Membership
- Check out the ELL Strategy Academy
- Shop TpT resources that help with supporting your ELLs
Related episodes and blog posts:
- Episode 25: How to Create a Scope and Sequence for Your ELL Program
- Episode 26: Setting Up Quarterly Goals
- Episode 18: Breaking Down Language Objectives with Guest Courtney Morgan
Connect with Beth:
- Join the Facebook group: Inspiring Young Learners Engage!
- Follow her on Instagram @inspiringyounglearners.
More about Equipping ELLs:
We all know that teaching isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be this hard. Equipping ELLs is a podcast for both ESL specialists and homeroom teachers who are looking for effective and engaging ways to support their English Language Learners without adding to their endless to-do list. Tune in each week to hear tips, strategies, and inspirational stories that will empower you to better reach your ELL students, equip them with life-long skills, and strengthen relationships with colleagues and parents.
Your host, Beth Vaucher, is the founder of Inspiring Young Learners. She is an ESL certified homeroom teacher with over 10 years of experience teaching in the US and internationally. Her background of M.Ed in ESL and Curriculum and Instruction combined with her experience has led her to develop a bestselling newcomer curriculum that has sold in over 90 countries around the globe. She brings a different perspective to teaching ELLs from her years teaching and living abroad and working with ELLs from around the world. You will walk away from each episode with the ideas and tools you need to transform your experience as a teacher and cultivate a thriving and welcoming environment for your ELL students.