Click below to hear how to welcome newcomers:
Does getting a newcomer to your classroom cause you to feel stressed and overwhelmed? Having new students join the classroom can be extremely overwhelming to both teachers and students, especially when those students are also new to the language. It can be easy to focus on what newcomers need to learn. However, we have to build trust before students will learn the language.
When you spend just a little time preparing for a newcomer’s arrival, you will ensure they will feel supported and loved the moment they join your classroom. This will reduce the stress and anxiety your newcomers feel.
In this episode, I share easy ways that you can make sure your students feel comfortable on their very first day in your classroom so they’ll be excited about coming back to school. I also give you tips for building a strong foundation of trust during the first few weeks of school so your newcomers will feel more confident in the classroom.
Don’t forget that I’m celebrating with a giveaway of five $25 TPT gift cards! Plus one grand prize winner will receive my course, ELL Strategy Academy, a one year subscription to my membership, Equipping ELLs, and a $50 TPT gift card!
Here’s how to enter the giveaway:
- Follow, rate, and write a review on Apple Podcasts.
- Screenshot your review and send it to me on Instagram @inspiringyounglearners.
- BONUS ENTRY: Screenshot your favorite launch episode, add it to your Instagram stories, and tag me.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- 3 things you can do before newcomers arrive so they feel welcomed and supported in their first few days of school
- Tips for communicating with families and students even when they don’t speak English
- Ways to reduce overwhelm for newcomers so they feel more comfortable on their first day at school
- How to continue to support and encourage newcomers by building a relationship during their first few weeks.
- The most important thing you can do to make your newcomer feel safe and welcomed in your classroom
- Talking Points
- Google Translate
- FREE Newcomer Welcome Kit
- Equipping ELLs Membership
- ELL Strategy Academy
- Shop TpT resources that help with supporting your ELLs
Related episodes and blog posts:
- 5 Ways to Welcome Newcomers to Your Class
- How to Shorten the Silent Period in your ELL Students
- 10 Tips for Teachers That Are New to Teaching ELLs
- What to Do When They are New! Part 1: Before They Arrive
Connect with Beth:
- Join the Facebook group: Inspiring Young Learners Engage!
- Follow her on Instagram @inspiringyounglearners.
More about Equipping ELLs:
We all know that teaching isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be this hard. Equipping ELLs is a podcast for both ESL specialists and homeroom teachers who are looking for effective and engaging ways to support their English Language Learners without adding to their endless to-do list. Tune in each week to hear tips, strategies, and inspirational stories that will empower you to better reach your ELL students, equip them with life-long skills, and strengthen relationships with colleagues and parents.
Your host, Beth Vaucher, is the founder of Inspiring Young Learners. She is an ESL certified homeroom teacher with over 10 years of experience teaching in the US and internationally. Her background of M.Ed in ESL and Curriculum and Instruction combined with her experience has led her to develop a bestselling newcomer curriculum that has sold in over 90 countries around the globe. She brings a different perspective to teaching ELLs from her years teaching and living abroad and working with ELLs from around the world. You will walk away from each episode with the ideas and tools you need to transform your experience as a teacher and cultivate a thriving and welcoming environment for your ELL students.