Click below to hear how to prepare for Access testing:
Do you dread prepping your students for Access testing every year? I think it’s safe to say we all do. What if I told you there is a way to prep without taking precious time away from giving students the support they actually need? Toss the test prep packets because I am sharing 5 fun ways you can prepare for Access testing starting right now.
We want to prepare our students for Access testing in a way that is beneficial to them outside of just the test. How can we do that? We embed preparing for Access testing into our lessons and daily routines! In this episode, I am sharing the importance of giving students plenty of opportunities to talk, why you should model expectations for thinking through questions, how to consistently use academic vocabulary, why you should have students practice speaking into the computer, and the benefit of talking about goal setting all year long.
If you’d like more materials to help your students prepare for Access testing, you’ll find them inside the Equipping ELLs membership! In addition to Access test prep resources, you’ll have access to monthly scope and sequence, lesson plans, resources, monthly training, and a private Facebook community. You’ll have everything you need to teach engaging lessons that reach learners at all levels!
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Why we should be preparing students for Access testing with more than just packets
- Ideas for how to encourage students to talk every single day
- How to model expectations for thinking through problems on the Access test
- Why we should be introducing and consistently using academic vocabulary throughout the year and how to do this
- The importance of talking about goal setting and results throughout the year
- Speaking and Writing Cards
- FREEBIE: Academic Language Stems Set
- Test Prep Speaking Digital Cards
- New Test Prep Resource
- Download the ESL Teacher Toolkit
- Listen to episode 7, From Newcomer to MLB Scout
- Join the Equipping ELLs Membership
- Shop TpT resources that help with supporting your ELLs
Related episodes and blog posts:
- Episode 10. Ways to Authentically Assess Your ELLs (and why not to stress about ACCESS)
- The 6 Essentials to Planning Lessons with ELLs in Mind
Connect with Beth:
More about Equipping ELLs:
We all know that teaching isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be this hard. Equipping ELLs is a podcast for both ESL specialists and homeroom teachers who are looking for effective and engaging ways to support their English Language Learners without adding to their endless to-do list. Tune in each week to hear tips, strategies, and inspirational stories that will empower you to better reach your ELL students, equip them with life-long skills, and strengthen relationships with colleagues and parents.
Your host, Beth Vaucher, is the founder of Inspiring Young Learners. She is an ESL certified homeroom teacher with over 10 years of experience teaching in the US and internationally. Her background of M.Ed in ESL and Curriculum and Instruction combined with her experience has led her to develop a bestselling newcomer curriculum that has sold in over 90 countries around the globe. She brings a different perspective to teaching ELLs from her years teaching and living abroad and working with ELLs from around the world. You will walk away from each episode with the ideas and tools you need to transform your experience as a teacher and cultivate a thriving and welcoming environment for your ELL students.
Great episode-thanks for the inspiration-ACCESS starts next week for my students, but we won’t get to the Speaking & Writing portion until after break. I just purchased and downloaded the speaking and writing cards and am so excited to use them with the kids for the rest of the year. Just wondering how I can get the test prep resource. In the list of resources it is not highlighted to click on it. Thanks!