Click below to hear about 5 new tech tools to try:
In this episode, we are covering really simple but powerful ways we can better support our ELL students through the use of technology. There are amazing tech tools out there that we can utilize without having to worry about the added stress of students getting locked out of sites or forgetting passwords! Today, I am sharing a Chrome extension that makes creating voice notes simple, two extension options that read the text aloud to students, a great podcast to help with listening comprehension, and 2 websites that help bring a visual component to learning vocabulary.
Check out the one-stop shop for K-12 ELL resources and support! The Equipping ELLs membership will help you regain the hours you spend searching for that perfect resource to use in class and will help you be prepared to teach your ELLs of all levels without the overwhelm. Inside, you’ll have access to monthly scope and sequence, lesson plans, resources, monthly training, and a private Facebook community. Can’t wait to see you inside!
I’d love to hear about any tech tools you are using with your ELLs! Reach out on Instagram @inspiringyounglearners and let me know about the tools that are a “must use” in your classroom!
Topics discussed in this episode:
- An amazing Chrome extension that makes it easy to add voice memos to different activities
- 2 Chrome extensions that read text aloud to students
- Why podcasts are a great way to improve listening comprehension
- A video dictionary website that provides short videos to help students better understand vocabulary words
- How students can explore words more deeply using a website that uses mind map visuals to help create a better understanding of the word
- Mote: voice notes & feedback
- Immersive Reader Offline Extension
- Read&Write for Google Chrome™
- Voice of America Podcast
- Join the Equipping ELLs Membership
- Check out the ELL Strategy Academy
- Download the ESL Teacher Toolkit
- Shop TpT resources that help with supporting your ELLs
Related episodes and blog posts:
- Don’t Skip This During Your Language Lessons
- Episode 38, 5 Ways Translanguaging Affirms Our ELLs Identity with Guest Tevia Tovares
- Episode 11: 5 Ways to Scaffold Your Lessons for Newcomers
Connect with Beth:
More about Equipping ELLs:
We all know that teaching isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be this hard. Equipping ELLs is a podcast for both ESL specialists and homeroom teachers who are looking for effective and engaging ways to support their English Language Learners without adding to their endless to-do list. Tune in each week to hear tips, strategies, and inspirational stories that will empower you to better reach your ELL students, equip them with life-long skills, and strengthen relationships with colleagues and parents.
Your host, Beth Vaucher, is the founder of Inspiring Young Learners. She is an ESL certified homeroom teacher with over 10 years of experience teaching in the US and internationally. Her background of M.Ed in ESL and Curriculum and Instruction combined with her experience has led her to develop a bestselling newcomer curriculum that has sold in over 90 countries around the globe. She brings a different perspective to teaching ELLs from her years teaching and living abroad and working with ELLs from around the world. You will walk away from each episode with the ideas and tools you need to transform your experience as a teacher and cultivate a thriving and welcoming environment for your ELL students.
This was a wonderful podcast!
Can’t wait to use them.