Click below to hear why your ELLs aren’t making growth:
Are you trying everything you can think of and your ELLs still aren’t making progress? When I talk to teachers whose students aren’t making growth, there is one common thread across the board. Doubt. The good news is that doubt is a reflection of our mindset so if we can fix our mindset, we can help out ELLs make more growth.
If you’ve ever doubted that you are doing what’s best for your ELL students or if you flip flop your plans every week because you aren’t sure if what you’re doing is working, it might be beneficial to check where your mindset is at. In this episode, I am talking about 3 mindset shifts that are key to supporting your ELLs. We are looking at why self-efficacy is important, taking a look at how we approach our ELL students, and how to overcome overwhelm by keeping it simple.
Teaching ELLs is such a privilege and is so rewarding! But wouldn’t it be great if you could feel more confident in preparing lessons and spend less time doing so? If that sounds great to you, check out the Equipping ELLs membership! Get everything you need to reach your ELLs without the overwhelm including a monthly scope and sequence, lesson plans, resources, and more!
Topics discussed in this episode:
- How to overcome doubt by making 3 mindset shifts
- Why you must believe in your ability to make a positive impact on your ELL students in order to help them make progress
- How to determine if you are approaching your students with a deficit or asset based approach and how to ensure you are approaching them through an asset-based lens
- Why keeping it simple with routines and structure is beneficial to both you and your students
- Join the Equipping ELLs Membership
- Check out the ELL Strategy Academy
- Download the ESL Teacher Toolkit
- Shop TpT resources that help with supporting your ELLs
Related episodes and blog posts:
- The One Thing Keeping you From Better Supporting Your ELLS
- Episode 34: 3 Problems You Are Facing When Lesson Planning For ELLs (And How to Fix Them!)
- Episode 28. Save Planning Time by Creating Teaching Templates
Connect with Beth:
More about Equipping ELLs:
We all know that teaching isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be this hard. Equipping ELLs is a podcast for both ESL specialists and homeroom teachers who are looking for effective and engaging ways to support their English Language Learners without adding to their endless to-do list. Tune in each week to hear tips, strategies, and inspirational stories that will empower you to better reach your ELL students, equip them with life-long skills, and strengthen relationships with colleagues and parents.
Your host, Beth Vaucher, is the founder of Inspiring Young Learners. She is an ESL certified homeroom teacher with over 10 years of experience teaching in the US and internationally. Her background of M.Ed in ESL and Curriculum and Instruction combined with her experience has led her to develop a bestselling newcomer curriculum that has sold in over 90 countries around the globe. She brings a different perspective to teaching ELLs from her years teaching and living abroad and working with ELLs from around the world. You will walk away from each episode with the ideas and tools you need to transform your experience as a teacher and cultivate a thriving and welcoming environment for your ELL students.