Click below to hear how to cover all 4 domains:
Using read alouds is one of the most effective ways you can reach all levels of your English Language Learners, no matter what age your students are. Read alouds provide opportunities for students to connect with relatable characters and feel welcome and safe in the classroom.
With visuals already provided for you, read alouds cut down on your prep work while encouraging your students to make tons of connections so they can better comprehend the text.
In today’s episode, I’m sharing the easiest way to cover all 4 language domains for all levels of ELLs with very little prep work. You can take one book and really pack so much into a 30-45 minute lesson that includes discussion, vocabulary, reading and listening comprehension, and so much more.
If you’re at a point in your year where you’re feeling overwhelmed with planning one more new thing but you really want to incorporate more read alouds, we’ve got you covered. The Unlock Language Through Read Alouds is a resource that is completely done for you.
With this resource, you receive lesson plans, QR codes for listening centers, discussion prompts, grammar, phonics, activities, reading passages, and writing prompts. These work great as sub plans, too. You will love how much power is packed into these lessons and how much time they will save you when it comes to preparing lessons.
Topics discussed in this episode:
- 3 reasons why read alouds are a powerful tool to use with your ELL students and how they address all 4 of the language domains
- Ideas for extending read-aloud lessons to bump up listening comprehension
- Simple ways to get your ELL students speaking using read alouds that will keep them engaged without putting them on the spot
- Tips for finding related texts that correlate with the read aloud and give your students opportunities to make connections and grasp the language and content
- Importance of writing and how to extend read alouds with quick writes
- Read the Teammates book
- Check out The Writing Revolution book
- Grab my FREE WIDA Can-Do Descriptors
- Buy the Unlock Language Through Read Alouds bundle
- Join the Equipping ELLs Membership
- Check out the ELL Strategy Academy
- Shop TpT resources that help with supporting your ELLs
Related episodes and blog posts:
- Episode 12, Helping ALL Students See Themselves with Guest Jenny LaRocque
- How to Easily Differentiate Your Read Aloud
- 10 Perfect Books to Learn about Holidays Around the World
- 10 Read-Alouds for the End of the Year
- How to Turn Any Book into a Listening Center (A Video Tutorial)
Connect with Beth:
- Join the Facebook group: Inspiring Young Learners Engage!
- Follow her on Instagram @inspiringyounglearners.
More about Equipping ELLs:
We all know that teaching isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be this hard. Equipping ELLs is a podcast for both ESL specialists and homeroom teachers who are looking for effective and engaging ways to support their English Language Learners without adding to their endless to-do list. Tune in each week to hear tips, strategies, and inspirational stories that will empower you to better reach your ELL students, equip them with life-long skills, and strengthen relationships with colleagues and parents.
Your host, Beth Vaucher, is the founder of Inspiring Young Learners. She is an ESL certified homeroom teacher with over 10 years of experience teaching in the US and internationally. Her background of M.Ed in ESL and Curriculum and Instruction combined with her experience has led her to develop a bestselling newcomer curriculum that has sold in over 90 countries around the globe. She brings a different perspective to teaching ELLs from her years teaching and living abroad and working with ELLs from around the world. You will walk away from each episode with the ideas and tools you need to transform your experience as a teacher and cultivate a thriving and welcoming environment for your ELL students.