Click below to hear simple classroom management tips for ELLs:
We all know that classroom management is crucial for a smooth school year. But where do you even start with classroom management, especially when you aren’t a homeroom teacher? Today, we are diving into how to get started with easy-to-implement strategies to help you have great classroom management this year!
Classroom management begins with building relationships and trust with your students. In this episode, we are talking about the importance of having clear expectations, how to get your students to really buy into the classroom rules, why you should explicitly teach expectations, and how to implement the behavior side of classroom management. We want our students to thrive and strong relationships, clear expectations, and involvement in classroom agreements are all great ways to help our students!
If you would love to confidently plan effective and engaging lessons and save on planning time, check out the Equipping ELLs membership! You’ll have access to amazing resources and an incredible community to help cut back on your planning time and get the support you need to best serve your ELLs!
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Why building trust and relationships is crucial to classroom management
- How talking about and creating classroom rules as a group helps with student buy-in and ideas for how to do this with newcomers
- An easy way to make your classroom more welcoming for students
- The importance of simple and clear rules with visual reminders
- Why you should explicitly walk-through expectations for pull out sessions, push in sessions, and classroom materials
- Why I believe in positive reinforcement for behavior management and ideas to implement
- FREE Visual Chart – Classroom Management Strategies
- Whole Brain Teaching
- Whole Brain Teaching Games
- Download the ESL Teacher Toolkit
- Join the Equipping ELLs Membership
- Check out the ELL Strategy Academy
- Shop TpT resources that help with supporting your ELLs
Related episodes and blog posts:
- Episode 36: The Most Important Place to Start This School Year with Guest Sindy Bonilla
- Episode 35: 3 Easy To Do Activities for the First Days of School
- Episode 14: 3 Ways to Connect with Homeroom Teachers
Connect with Beth:
- Join the Facebook group: Inspiring Young Learners Engage!
- Follow her on Instagram @inspiringyounglearners.
More about Equipping ELLs:
We all know that teaching isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be this hard. Equipping ELLs is a podcast for both ESL specialists and homeroom teachers who are looking for effective and engaging ways to support their English Language Learners without adding to their endless to-do list. Tune in each week to hear tips, strategies, and inspirational stories that will empower you to better reach your ELL students, equip them with life-long skills, and strengthen relationships with colleagues and parents.
Your host, Beth Vaucher, is the founder of Inspiring Young Learners. She is an ESL certified homeroom teacher with over 10 years of experience teaching in the US and internationally. Her background of M.Ed in ESL and Curriculum and Instruction combined with her experience has led her to develop a bestselling newcomer curriculum that has sold in over 90 countries around the globe. She brings a different perspective to teaching ELLs from her years teaching and living abroad and working with ELLs from around the world. You will walk away from each episode with the ideas and tools you need to transform your experience as a teacher and cultivate a thriving and welcoming environment for your ELL students.