Click below to hear 5 ways to use assessment to drive action:
It seems like our ELL students are constantly taking assessments. They take them with us, for core classes, benchmarks, and the list goes on!
But are these assessments helping to drive our instruction or are they just wasting time? Today, we are diving into how to better assess students authentically so that we can adjust our instruction to meet our students’ needs.
We want our assessments to be more than just the mandatory state assessments. We want them to give us great insight so we can turn them into action. In this episode, we are looking at 5 different ways we can authentically assess our ELLs, why assessing in these ways is important, and ideas and tips on how to implement these assessments in your classroom.
Are you looking to cut back on your lesson planning time while offering your students effective and engaging lessons? Check out the Equipping ELLs membership! You’ll have instant access to amazing, proven, and prepped materials and you’ll join an incredible community of other educators who are there to support you!
Topics discussed in this episode:
- A look at the assessment journey of an ELL student
- 5 ways to authentically assess your ELL students beyond paper and pencil tests
- Why utilizing these assessments give us more accurate insights into what our students know and need more support with
- Tips on how to implement these assessments
- Ideas for how to set up a system to record your observations and assessment information
- Grab your Generic Rubric FREEBIE here
- Download the ESL Teacher Toolkit
- Join the Equipping ELLs Membership
- Check out the ELL Strategy Academy
- Shop TpT resources that help with supporting your ELLs
Related episodes and blog posts:
- Episode 10: Ways to Authentically Assess Your ELLs (and why not to stress about ACCESS)
- An Easy 3-Step Framework to Build a Strong Foundation for Teaching ELLs
- The Power Behind Progress Monitoring
Connect with Beth:
- Join the Facebook group: Inspiring Young Learners Engage!
- Follow her on Instagram @inspiringyounglearners.
More about Equipping ELLs:
We all know that teaching isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be this hard. Equipping ELLs is a podcast for both ESL specialists and homeroom teachers who are looking for effective and engaging ways to support their English Language Learners without adding to their endless to-do list. Tune in each week to hear tips, strategies, and inspirational stories that will empower you to better reach your ELL students, equip them with life-long skills, and strengthen relationships with colleagues and parents.
Your host, Beth Vaucher, is the founder of Inspiring Young Learners. She is an ESL certified homeroom teacher with over 10 years of experience teaching in the US and internationally. Her background of M.Ed in ESL and Curriculum and Instruction combined with her experience has led her to develop a bestselling newcomer curriculum that has sold in over 90 countries around the globe. She brings a different perspective to teaching ELLs from her years teaching and living abroad and working with ELLs from around the world. You will walk away from each episode with the ideas and tools you need to transform your experience as a teacher and cultivate a thriving and welcoming environment for your ELL students.