Click below to hear how administrators can impact ELLs:
In this episode, we are looking at how ELL teachers and administrators can work collaboratively to support their ELLs. Maria is sharing her expertise in her role as an administrator, how she as an administrator advocates for ELLs, why knowing the bilingual code in your state is so important, how to approach administrators when advocating for ELLs, and what success looks like for multilingual learners.
Maria began her career in New Jersey public schools in 2009 and started writing for Everyone Deserves to Learn in 2013. She received an M.Ed in Teaching ESL from The College of New Jersey and obtained her Supervisor and Principal certifications through NJExcel. She currently serves as the Supervisor of Curriculum and Instruction for a PreK-8 school district in Camden County, NJ.
The Equipping ELLS podcast is celebrating our one year anniversary! To celebrate, we are hosting a giveaway during the month of January. We are giving 10 lucky winners a resource of their choice from the Inspiring Young Learners store plus we are giving 5 lucky winners a grand prize of a one year membership to Equipping ELLs! Winners will be announced January 29, 2023.
How to enter:
- Leave a review wherever you listen to podcasts. 1 entry for every review you leave so you can review as many episodes as you’d like to earn more entries!
- Post on Instagram your favorite Equipping ELLs episode and tag us @equippingells
- Share the podcast with a friend or coworker and DM me a screenshot on Instagram @equippingells
Topics discussed in this episode:
- Maria’s expertise in her role as a school administrator
- How Maria advocates for English language learners as an administrator
- Why all ELL teachers should know and understand bilingual code for their state
- How to approach admin when presenting code or law for ELLs
- Advice for administrators who don’t have experience working with ELLs
- Maria’s tip for administrators to help change the culture of schools to one that supports English language learners
- What success looks like for multilingual students
- Join the Equipping ELLs Membership
- Check out the ELL Strategy Academy
- Download the ESL Teacher Toolkit
- Shop TpT resources that help with supporting your ELLs
Related episodes and blog posts:
- Episode 56. The Answer to This Question Will Change How You Teach ELLs This Year
- Episode 19. Connecting All 4 Domains to Content with Maria Montroni-Currais
- Episode 4. Advocating for Multilingual Learners with Brooke Boutwell
Connect with Beth:
More about Equipping ELLs:
We all know that teaching isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be this hard. Equipping ELLs is a podcast for both ESL specialists and homeroom teachers who are looking for effective and engaging ways to support their English Language Learners without adding to their endless to-do list. Tune in each week to hear tips, strategies, and inspirational stories that will empower you to better reach your ELL students, equip them with life-long skills, and strengthen relationships with colleagues and parents.
Your host, Beth Vaucher, is the founder of Inspiring Young Learners. She is an ESL certified homeroom teacher with over 10 years of experience teaching in the US and internationally. Her background of M.Ed in ESL and Curriculum and Instruction combined with her experience has led her to develop a bestselling newcomer curriculum that has sold in over 90 countries around the globe. She brings a different perspective to teaching ELLs from her years teaching and living abroad and working with ELLs from around the world. You will walk away from each episode with the ideas and tools you need to transform your experience as a teacher and cultivate a thriving and welcoming environment for your ELL students.