Click below to hear the essential components to creating skilled readers:
I’m sure you’ve heard about the Science of Reading and maybe your school is pushing to incorporate it more into literacy lessons but you aren’t quite sure how to do that. You’re in luck! Today, we are continuing our conversation with Sara Marye about how to create skilled readers through literacy instruction and the Science of Reading.
If you haven’t checked out last week’s episode, be sure to do that so you don’t miss out on the incredible information Sara shared with us! In this week’s episode, we are picking up right where we left off. Sara is sharing the remaining three elements of language comprehension, how to determine what to focus on first with your students, and her advice for teachers who want to focus more on language comprehension this year.
Sara Marye has over a decade of experience working as a classroom teacher and school administrator. She is now CEO of The Stellar Teacher Company and a literacy specialist passionate about helping elementary teachers around the world grow their students into lifelong readers. Sara’s mission is to make teachers’ lives a little easier by providing them with endless encouragement, effective strategies, and engaging no-fluff resources. Sara is also the host of the Stellar Teacher Podcast, where she loves to share her favorite literacy tips each week!
The Equipping ELLs membership is here to help you teach engaging and effective lessons to your ELLs without the stress! Upon joining, you’ll gain access to monthly lesson plans, resources, monthly coaching, and more!
Topics discussed in this episode:
- The last 3 elements of language comprehension, why they’re important, and examples of how to incorporate them in the classroom
- How to determine which element of language comprehension you should prioritize and teach first
- Sara’s advice for teachers who want to focus on language comprehension this year
- FREEBIE: Word of the Week Routine
- [The Stellar Teacher Podcast] Episode 11: Create a Reading Block that Supports ELL Students with Beth Vaucher
- [The Stellar Teacher Podcast] Episode 85: What is The Science of Reading & Why is it Important?
- Each Kindness by Jacqueline Woodson
- Download the ESL Teacher Toolkit
- Join the Equipping ELLs Membership
- Check out the ELL Strategy Academy
- Shop TpT resources that help with supporting your ELLs
Related episodes and blog posts:
- Episode 43. The Essential Components to Creating Skilled Readers with Guest Sara Marye (Part 1)
- The 6 Essentials to Planning Lessons with ELLs in Mind
Connect with Beth:
Connect with Sara:
More about Equipping ELLs:
We all know that teaching isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be this hard. Equipping ELLs is a podcast for both ESL specialists and homeroom teachers who are looking for effective and engaging ways to support their English Language Learners without adding to their endless to-do list. Tune in each week to hear tips, strategies, and inspirational stories that will empower you to better reach your ELL students, equip them with life-long skills, and strengthen relationships with colleagues and parents.
Your host, Beth Vaucher, is the founder of Inspiring Young Learners. She is an ESL certified homeroom teacher with over 10 years of experience teaching in the US and internationally. Her background of M.Ed in ESL and Curriculum and Instruction combined with her experience has led her to develop a bestselling newcomer curriculum that has sold in over 90 countries around the globe. She brings a different perspective to teaching ELLs from her years teaching and living abroad and working with ELLs from around the world. You will walk away from each episode with the ideas and tools you need to transform your experience as a teacher and cultivate a thriving and welcoming environment for your ELL students.