Teacher, we’ve got an ESL veteran teacher ready to impart practical wisdom for back to school success!
In episode 86 of the Equipping ELLs podcast, we welcome to the show Beth Mailley. Starting as a homeroom teacher, now in her thirteenth year as an ESL specialist, Beth has so much to offer our listeners! From organization tips to fostering relationships, creating a welcoming environment, and effective assessment strategies, this episode is a must-listen for all ESL teachers.
Tips for ESL Teachers’ Success
- Organization Challenges and Solutions: Overcoming compliance paperwork challenges is essential for ESL teachers. Discover how Beth organizes her students’ materials using two-pocket folders with vocabulary supports, emphasizing routines and ownership for students.
- Building Strong Relationships: Beth and Beth stress the significance of forming strong connections with English language learners to create a supportive and nurturing learning space.
- Creating a Welcoming Environment: Learn how to foster an inclusive and welcoming classroom environment that motivates and engages every student.
- Giving it Time: Patience is key. Understand the importance of perseverance in helping ELL students thrive.
- Welcoming New Students and Effective Assessment: Discover practical ways to welcome new students, coordinate with administration, and conduct language assessments.
- Optimizing Schedules for Student Support: It’s a challenge, but organize your time to fit push-in or pull-out time in for each student. Learn where to start in creating your ESL support schedule and even how to begin grouping students.
- Be flexible: If it’s not working, try something new! Openness to trying out different schedules, giving and receiving feedback, and collaborating with colleagues will lead to growth as an educator and ultimately, more growth for your students.
By implementing these essential tips, you can create a successful, inclusive, and empowering learning experience for English language learners!
If you’ve found our podcast helpful, please consider leaving a review wherever you listen to your podcasts! This is the best way you can help more teachers find us!
Upcoming Episodes to Support You as You Prepare for a New School Year:
- 87. Supporting SLIFE Students (Students with Limited or Interrupted Formal Education)
- 88. Teaching Newcomers: Essential Lessons for the First 3 Weeks
- 89. 4 Reasons Your ELL Curriculum Isn’t Working
- Join the Equipping ELLs Membership
- Shop our TpT Store for Hundreds of ELL Resources
- Get our Back to School Classroom Decor and Labels
- Follow Beth Mailley on Instagram
- Check out Beth Mailley’s Blog: The ESL Teacher Life
Connect with Beth:
More about Equipping ELLs:
We all know that teaching isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be this hard. Equipping ELLs is a podcast for both ESL specialists and homeroom teachers who are looking for effective and engaging ways to support their English Language Learners without adding to their endless to-do list. Tune in each week to hear tips, strategies, and inspirational stories that will empower you to better reach your ELL students, equip them with life-long skills, and strengthen relationships with colleagues and parents.
Your host, Beth Vaucher, is the founder of Inspiring Young Learners. She is an ESL certified homeroom teacher with over 10 years of experience teaching in the US and internationally. Her background of M.Ed in ESL and Curriculum and Instruction combined with her experience has led her to develop a bestselling newcomer curriculum that has sold in over 90 countries around the globe. She brings a different perspective to teaching ELLs from her years teaching and living abroad and working with ELLs from around the world. You will walk away from each episode with the ideas and tools you need to transform your experience as a teacher and cultivate a thriving and welcoming environment for your ELL students.