Empower your ELL newcomers in the initial weeks of the school year.
The first few weeks of the school year are pivotal, especially for our ELL newcomers. Episode 88 of the Equipping ELLs Podcast, hosted by Beth Vaucher, brings an insightful guide on empowering newcomers during this crucial period. In this episode, we’ll delve into Beth’s strategies and tips for each week of the first three weeks, along with other essential considerations for a successful start in the classroom.
1. In the first week of school, empathize with your newcomers. Help them to feel welcomed and safe. Keep them in mind when planning your ice breakers, getting to know you activities, etc. Plan a school tour with your students, and have survival resources ready for your newcomers! We really recommend welcome folders for newcomers, and we’ve got everything you need for them, just ready to print!
2. The second week is for establishing routines. Listen in to the full episode to hear Beth break down each day of week 2! With a day-by-day plan outlined and all of the resources provided for you, this just couldn’t be made any easier!
3. The third week is when we can start assessments. These are not state-wide, grade-level assessments, but rather quick, skill-specific, check-ins to assess specific data about the language skills of your student.
If you are new to ESL or just wanting to re-think your game plan for the start of the school year, this episode is just packed with usable, effective plans for your first three weeks!
And if you’re ready to join us inside the Equipping ELLs membership, this one-stop-shop truly has EVERYTHING you need for an entire school year of teaching ELLs: from weekly planners to read alouds, from ice breakers to assessments, from vocabulary activities to grammar practice, this membership truly includes it all.
Topics Discussed in this Episode:
- What to do with your newcomers in week 1
- What to do with your newcomers in week 2
- What to do with your newcomers in week 3
- What NOT to do with your newcomers in the first weeks of school
- Resources to check every box for your school year
- Join the Equipping ELLs Membership
- Shop our TpT Store for Hundreds of ELL Resources
- Welcome Folder for Newcomers (FREEBIE!)
- List of Read Alouds for your First Week of School
Connect with Beth:
More about Equipping ELLs:
We all know that teaching isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be this hard. Equipping ELLs is a podcast for both ESL specialists and homeroom teachers who are looking for effective and engaging ways to support their English Language Learners without adding to their endless to-do list. Tune in each week to hear tips, strategies, and inspirational stories that will empower you to better reach your ELL students, equip them with life-long skills, and strengthen relationships with colleagues and parents.
Your host, Beth Vaucher, is the founder of Inspiring Young Learners. She is an ESL certified homeroom teacher with over 10 years of experience teaching in the US and internationally. Her background of M.Ed in ESL and Curriculum and Instruction combined with her experience has led her to develop a bestselling newcomer curriculum that has sold in over 90 countries around the globe. She brings a different perspective to teaching ELLs from her years teaching and living abroad and working with ELLs from around the world. You will walk away from each episode with the ideas and tools you need to transform your experience as a teacher and cultivate a thriving and welcoming environment for your ELL students.