Teacher, creating an effective classroom space is crucial.
In this episode of Equipping ELLs, we explore the essential classroom setup. Whether you’re a new teacher, new to ESL, or just wanting to have your best year yet, being prepared and organized can prevent so. much. stress. In this episode, we dive into the essential teacher setup, including:
- Lesson Plans: Determine whether you prefer a paper or digital planner and assess what worked and what needs improvement from previous years.
- Paper Organization: Develop a plan to stay on top of paper organization, particularly if you teach in multiple classrooms or schools.
- Supplies: For traveling teachers or those who push in to different classrooms, carefully consider the essential supplies to carry with you at all times.
- Communication with Teachers: Establishing effective communication channels with homeroom teachers is vital for collaborative teaching and supporting students!
- Communication with Parents: Implement a streamlined communication system with parents to foster involvement and support.
- Student Setup: From technology to schedules, you can set your students up for success!
We want to encourage you to think these things through before the school year begins, and in this episode Beth shares numerous resources and so many practical tips to support you! A well-organized and prepared classroom enhances teaching and learning experiences, benefiting both teachers and students alike!
Listen to Episode 84 of Equipping ELLs for inspiration and practical support for your teacher toolkit. If you’ve found our podcast helpful, please consider leaving a review wherever you listen to your podcasts. This is the best way you can help more teachers find us!
Upcoming Episodes to Support You as You Prepare for a New School Year:
- 85. Creating a Language-Rich and Visually Engaging Classroom: 8 Ways to Achieve It!
- 86. Practical Tips from an Experienced ESL Teacher
- 87. Supporting SLIFE Students (Students with Limited or Interrupted Formal Education)
- 88. Teaching Newcomers: Essential Lessons for the First 3 Weeks
- Join the Equipping ELLs Membership
- Shop our TpT Resources
- Upcoming Free Webinar: How to Cut Your Planning Time in Half and Still Provide Quality and Engaging Lessons for your ELLs”
- Downloadable Digital or Printable Lesson Planner (Coming soon! Check back on this page next week!)
- Communication with AirTable
- Using Canva to translate documents
Connect with Beth:
More about Equipping ELLs:
We all know that teaching isn’t easy, but it doesn’t have to be this hard. Equipping ELLs is a podcast for both ESL specialists and homeroom teachers who are looking for effective and engaging ways to support their English Language Learners without adding to their endless to-do list. Tune in each week to hear tips, strategies, and inspirational stories that will empower you to better reach your ELL students, equip them with life-long skills, and strengthen relationships with colleagues and parents.
Your host, Beth Vaucher, is the founder of Inspiring Young Learners. She is an ESL certified homeroom teacher with over 10 years of experience teaching in the US and internationally. Her background of M.Ed in ESL and Curriculum and Instruction combined with her experience has led her to develop a bestselling newcomer curriculum that has sold in over 90 countries around the globe. She brings a different perspective to teaching ELLs from her years teaching and living abroad and working with ELLs from around the world. You will walk away from each episode with the ideas and tools you need to transform your experience as a teacher and cultivate a thriving and welcoming environment for your ELL students.